Построен в 1868-1881 г. в память о посещении Нижегородской ярмарки императором Александром II. Освящение состоялось в 1881 г. в присутствии Александра III. Храм был местом встречи почётных гостей города.

В 1929-1930 г. собор закрыт, ценности изъяты, иконостасы и украшения уничтожены. Предполагалось снести собор и поставить на его место очередной памятник Ленину, однако этот план не был осуществлён. Вместо этого в помещении собора разместити склад, пристроили дополнительные помещения.

Во время Великой отечественной войны на центральном барабане крыши размещались зенитные батареи, защищавшие Нижний Новгород от налётов фашистской авиации.

В 1983 г. началось восстановление собора. С 2009 г. собор Александра Невского стал кафедральным.

It was built in 1868-1881 in memory of Emperor Alexander II's visit to the Nizhny Novgorod Fair. The consecration took place in 1881 in the presence of Alexander III. The temple was a meeting place for honored guests of the city.

In 1929-1930 the cathedral was closed, valuables were confiscated, iconostases and decorations were destroyed. It was supposed to demolish the cathedral and put another Lenin monument in its place, but this plan was not implemented. Instead, a warehouse was placed in the premises of the cathedral, additional premises were added.

During the Great Patriotic War, air defense batteries were placed on the central drum of the roof, protecting Nizhny Novgorod from Nazi air raids.

In 1983, the restoration of the cathedral began. Since 2009, the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral has become a bishopric.